Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:10 PM   #1

I didn't take any images, I wanted to see the size, focus speed, and just my other general thoughts about it.

First impression was good. It's about the same size as the kit lens which is good. The ficus speed seemed about the same, no stop watch, but fast enough not to tell a real noticable difference if there is any.

One thingI did notice that it was noisy and stiff. The zoom wasn't near as easy to turn as the Kit Lens. It seemed pretty stiff. The it made quite alot of noise focusing....noticably more noise than the kit lens. Is this normal???? I am wondering if the lens wasn't very good at the store.
SuperJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:23 PM   #2

I have this lens. I never use my kit lens. It covers that range and more. I don't think it is much if at all louder than the kit lens. In my instance the photos are MUCH better quality than the kit lens which wasn't bad.

I find it focuses quite quickly and it is on my camera 60-70% of the time. I would buy one again. Contrast is good and it works quite well with my XT. It is nice and compact too UNTIL you zoom it out but that is to be expected. The zoom wasn't overly tight when I bought it but after a few actuations it works quite well now. It is definitely a keeper in my book. It has good WA and decent tele. Center sharpness is quite good on this lens wide open even at full tele. At WO and full tele stopping it down a stop or 2 gets the edges just about as sharp. I can notice the difference but it sounds more extreme than it really is.

For the few time I need a lot more I will use my 100-400 IS or my 70-200 2.8. In some ways I wish Sigma made a 18-125 with IS. That would be awesome and maybe a wee bit faster. When is Canon going to offer IS in the body like KM?
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 6:06 PM   #3

Wavshrdr wrote:
When is Canon going to offer IS in the body like KM?
That may be a while in coming
KM has the patton on the chip shift idea from what I have heard. . .:lol:
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:36 PM   #4

Have a look at http://pbase.com/mortain/sigma_18125_examples

It might help. I use it all the time. The stiffness disppears, and I just don't notice the noise. I would like a sharper lens but I do not want to change lenses for different shots, so there is no alternative. Minolta are bringing out an 18 to 70 later this year, and as Minolta lenses are actually rebadged Tamron, I await the Tamron 18 to 70 with interest. If it is as good as the 28-75, thenthat is the one for me.

ken from the uk
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote