Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:55 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at my next lens purchase for my 20d (do we ever stop buying equipment !!!) and I'd be interested in people's thoughts / experiences on any of the following lenses ...

Canon 24 - 70 L

Sigma 24 - 70 EX DG Macro

Tamron 28 - 75 SP Di

All are F2.8 lenses,prices in the UK are£260 (Tamron), £280 (Sigma) and £850 (Canon).

I currently have the Canon 18 - 50 kit lens, Canon 50mm F1.8as well as a Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8 and Sigma 100 - 300 F4.

I mainly shoot outdoor sports hence the 2 Sigma's. I have though been asked to shoot a formal Ball (Black Tie / Ballgowns) as well as a wedding, hence me looking for a very, very good quality mid range zoom (I already have a 580ex flashgun).

Any thoughts as to whether theCanon 24 - 70 Lis really worth the extra £500 over the Sigma and Tamron lenses ? - it's a lot of extra money that could go on another lens orbody, however, if the image qualityfrom the Canon lens really does have the 'wow' and 'pop' factor over and above the other twothen I don't mind stretching to spending this extra amount (my hands go sweaty at the merethought of this !!!).

I'm waiting for my local shop to get all 3 lenses in to try (in/outside the shop) but I thought that I'd gather as much info as I could on other people's experiences of these 3 lenses (or alternatives) prior to actually bolting them onto my camera and trying them out in the flesh.

stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i think quite a few ppl will back me up on this one, but i would save yourself the 500 and go with the sigma or tamron.. i prefer sigma, but both are wonderful lenses..

check out NHL's link in the post concerning landscape lenses.. it hasa nice review of the 24-70 with some pictures to take a look at...

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:23 PM   #3

Hi Stix;

I have the 24-70 L and it is my most used lens. I really only have 3, the other 2 being the 70-200 F4 L and the 50mm portrait lens. I can't remember ever getting a bad pic with the 24-70. It is fast and quiet and incredibly sharp. As to how it compares to the other 2 you mentioned, i can't comment except that they are probably cheaper. I guess my decision would be based on my camera. I have a 10d and feel more comfortable buying Canon lenses. I plan on using my lenses a long time so the extra cost is amortized over a long period.

Whatever your choice, happy shooting.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:54 PM   #4

Go to www.fredmiranda.com an check out the reviews on the lenses. I don't know about the Sigma but I have heard nothing but good on the Tamron and am seriously considering it as my XT arrives monday .. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 4:51 PM   #5

My thanks to everyone for their comments, I'm waiting for all 3 lenses to come into my local store and then I'll try them all out - decisions, decisions !!!
stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 6:37 PM   #6

I own the Tameron 28-75 F2.8 and I am selling it to buy a 24-70 F2.8L, I rented the 70-200 F2.8L and fell in love with it, and then rented the 24-70 F2.8L and fell in love with that one too.

Alas you may not notice the difference so I would call around and rent each lens or go to a store where you can take test shots with each lens and compare them, before you buy anything.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote