Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:06 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I've space in my camera bag for one more small lens.

This is my collection so far:

EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
EF 70-300mm DO IS USM
EF 50mm f1.8 II
Sigma DG500 Super Flashgun

The flashgun is fine and works nicely for when it's appropriate, but it's BRIGHT when it fires and is therefore somewhat out-of-place in informal gatherings, so I find myself hankering for a good low-light lens that I can use indoors at night without blinding everyone.

The 50mm f1.8 is just about fast enough if I go to ISO800 or above, but that's about as slow as I can go I think. I do however find the 50mm focal length rather too long for most indoor work, it's nice for portraits, but quite limiting with the 1.6 crop.

I love street and reportage style photography and having a nice fast normal lens is something that I find I'm looking for: something that would be 35mm-50mm on a normal frame camera; on the crop that makes it something in the 20mm-30mm range.

There seem to be a few choices available:

EF 24mm f/1.4 L USM £1000
EF 28mm f/1.8 USM £325
Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG £250.
Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG £225
Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG £175
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM £???

If I had £1000 to spend I know which one I'd be going for, but I don't so...

I'd prefer the 24mm focal length but the 3 Sigma f/1.8 lenses seem to be almost universally regarded as having very slow AF. The fast motor would really be useful for this sort of lens, so of the currently released items the f1.8 Sigmas go to the bottom of the list.

The 30mm would be my least favoured focal length, but it's got the fast motor and the extra f-stop. If Sigma can bring it in at a decent price it may be the front-runner. I guess it's going to have to beat the Canon 28mm, which reviews suggest has good build quality, good optical quality and fast focus, and of course it's full frame and has a Canon label.

Your thoughts appreciated.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:34 AM   #2

IMO there's not much activities in the prime area for a long time... the market is now ripe for this with so many 1.6x cameras plus it's also much easier to design a lens for the APS size sensor than a full frame

Could we see a compact 'digital' 500 or even 600 f/2.8 in the near future as well?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote