Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:31 AM   #1

I own the Canon 20D along with the following lenses:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm IS USM
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II

I'm now looking for a Canon Macro lens. I have read some good comments concerning the Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro USM lens but I'm also interested in the Canon EF-S 60mm F2.8 Macro USM lens.

I noticed that the EF-S 60mm has a closest focusing distance of 8 inches while the EF 100mm has a closest focusing distance of 12 inches. What advantage does one lens have over the other? Which would you suggest?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:05 AM   #2

Careful with the short macro's like a 50mm or 60mm, you have very little working distance at high magnification when using them.

I'd prefer something in the 150mm-180mm range, my top choices for a macro currently would be:
  • Sigma 105 f2.8 macro. [/*]
  • Sigma 150 f2.8 macro. [/*]
  • Tamron 180 f3.5 macro. [/*]
  • Sigma 180 f3.5 macro.[/*]
Note: I am a Canon user big time and none of my topchoices are Canon brand :-), The canon macro lenses are good but IMHO way over priced.

About the ef-s lenses; the only one of those I would consider is that 10-22mm just to get that range, I would not spend the cash on any of the others. They are too restricted on the cameras you can use them with, if you ever upgrade to a camera with a larger sensoryou have to sell them off.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:44 AM   #3

PeterP has a point, but I would caution also about going with the EF-S 10-22 (and apply to other EF-S as well)
-> For landscape you always want the highest resolution possible which means a full-frame is the best for this kind of work in the future; However, EF-S and full-frame don't mix unless you plan on another round of lens swap!

With regards to macro PeterP is also right - Even in sharpness (not just price) the Tamron and Sigma dominate this field for decades: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...76&forum_id=65
It's what theses 3rd party are best @ :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote