Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 4, 2005, 1:37 PM   #11

Minor correction the Tamron 28-75 is full frame, and works fine on my 35mm bodies.

Amazing what you discover when you look at the manual, Ijust discovered it has a zoom-lock feature and I've been using it for over a year:blah:

NHL wrote:
2. It's a full frame - you can re-use this lens (and only use the best cropped part for now) on a 1Ds
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 1:48 PM   #12

As I had mentioned, my Tamron will be arriving sometime next week...how would I know whether I got a "good" or "bad" copy of the lens?
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:26 PM   #13

I understand the Tamron 28-75 is full frame, just like the smaller sized Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 is as well: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...64&navigator=2

The problem is the sharp drop-off beyond the 13mm image circle of theses 'digital' lenses makes them less ideal than a 'true' full-frame which the 24-70mm f/2.8 is, but they'll do the job like I posted over here

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:17 PM   #14

With rebates, the Tamron is about $120 cheaper than the Sigma.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:20 PM   #15

NHL,I admit I am not a pro photographer, but I did not change my style or camerawhen I bought these lenses and the Tamron leaves both the sigma and the Tamron 28-300 in the dust as far as speed and sharpness. I bought the sigma for 320 dollars and the 28-300 for 350. I took them both back and paid 380 for the 28-75 Tamron. Now theres no way I return products and pay more money if the products were that close in performance. And I never read a single review on any of these lenses. It was all trial and error. But thanks for the link to the review site. It made me finalize my decision on the sigma 70-200 2.8. I will have it friday.

And I did not get a rebate offer with my lense and I did not know about the 6 year warranty. I will have to check all that out.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 8:06 PM   #16

Of these three lenses, the canon is the most versatile for longer shots, the IS is nice at the long range, the sigma is reported to be a little sharper, but is also HEAVY and big (Little Bigma?). Being an old timer I went with the lighter Tamron and haven't looked back. It's partner lense is the 75-300 with IS.
Tumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:20 AM   #17

I own both the Canon and the Tamron lenses. Both are very sharp lenses in my opinion even though in some forums the Canon is down rated. The Canon is smoother and faster focusing, the Tamron is noisy and rougher sounding in comparison to the Canon. I mainly use the Tamron for indoors. The Canon is a very nice lensbut both work well on my D-Reb and 20D. One lens is faster and one has more reach. You'll have to decidewhat your needs are in terms of your shooting.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:02 AM   #18

Hi all, I'm new to this forum however, I wanted to offer my 2 cents in regards to the Sigma 24-70mm EX. It has been purported (reliably) that when Sigma was engineering this lens that Canon required Sigma to purchase the engineering rights/notes of their camera's comm. system (i.e. lens control system etc.). Sigma opted not to pay Canon and decided to reverse engineer Canon's system and incorporate their findings in their new 24-70mm EX lens. In contrast, Nikon openly shared their engineering notes with Sigma and as a result many Nikon users are reporting excellent AF responses and lens functionality while Canon users are expressing less than optimal results with this lens. So exceptional reports from Nikon users and so-so responses from Canon users. This engineering drama with 3rd party vendors is quit common in the industries. Itreminds me of the early PC vs. McIntosh days where the PC supported an open architecture and the McIntosh guarded their closed architecture (purportedly to keep QA under control). FWIW, I have a Nikon D50 and Sigma 24-70mm EX on order.

Happy shooting!
Mere_Image is offline   Reply With Quote