Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 16, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

Last year I purchased a Canon EOS 300D. I also purchased a 28-135 IS USM lens, which came with a Hoya UV filter, for general purpose shooting.

I've never really been that impressed with the sharpness of the lens, and to be honest, thought it was a bit overrated.

Over the weekend we were taking some macro shots of spiders in the garden, using a tripod (IS off).
They were all coming out a bit small and fuzzy around the edges, when I suddenly wondered if the lens that came with my 300D may be better for close up photography.
I fitted the "stock" lens (EFS 18-55) for the first time, and the spiders came out really nice. I took a few other photos with this lens, and much to my surprise, they all came out MUCH sharper than with the 28-135!!!

Having read some threads on this forum, I couldn't understand why everyone thinks the 28-135 is a sharp lens. The only possible difference with my lens is that I've always used it with the Hoya filter. So I've just removed the filter and lo and behold, it's nice and sharp!

I thought Hoya filters were meant to be good?

The filter itself looks absolutely spotless. No grease, dust or marks, whatsoever, yet it does seem to take the sharpness off any photos.

Other than obvious reason of protecting the lens from scratches, why else should I use a filter?

Many thanks,

mrsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 7:55 PM   #2

Although I'm not absolutely sure, but I think I read something somewhere in which a filter can reduce flare? To me it sounds reasonable since some are called UV filters...

Either than that, I think the main reason is protection. The saler at Henry's tried to sell me one and I said no... He was very annoying, but the only reasons he gave was for protection...

But I think you would need filters in areas you really need absolute protection (blowing sand on a windy beach, for instance).
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:23 AM   #3

Hoya is a good brand of filter - but just like Canon makes some excellent lenses and some bad ones - same with Hoya. Bottom line - do you really want to put a $20 piece of glass on the end of a $400 lense? Use the multicoated filters and your sharpness problems will go away.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:26 PM   #4

I've already got a Hoya multicoated UV filter, which is causing the problem.
Should I try a Supermulticoated?
What would you recommend?
mrsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:47 PM   #5

I've had similar issues with filters effecting AF on the 20D, here's my findings!

I noticed a difference between quality of filters!
jalexman is offline   Reply With Quote