Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 16, 2005, 7:56 PM   #1

I am an ametuer that just got a Rebel XT. I recently got the 50mm prime because it was so darn cheap (like $60 bucks). I have the cheaper kit lens (18-55 EF-S). I want something that can give me some power to get animals. I went to a college campus last weekend where deer ducks etc. will come within about 50 feet of you, so I am not wanting to shoot animals from like a half a mile. Will 200mm do me (with a 1.6 crop, it is really a 320mm)? Also, with this lens having such a wide range is it going to be a bad lens? Is 3.5-5.6 relatively fast for a lens like this?

Oh, and has anyone seen MTF charts for this lens? I have never even heard of Tokina, but someome in another thread mentioned one and I looked it up and found one pretty cheap. What do you think?
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2

My alternative lens is the Sigma 70-300 APO Super II. Since I have the kit and 50mm prime, this would over my range better.

However, there are some differences.

-The Sigma rotates the filter threads, the Tokina does not.
-The Sigma goes to 300mm (480mm) vs 200mm (320mm) on the Tokina.
-The Sigma is a fraction of a stop slower (3.5 vs 4)
-The Sigma looks plastic, but I am not sure.
-The Sigma is $100 cheaper.

crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3

I got the Tokina 24-200, after reading recomendations by NHL. It is a good lens that was not too expensive.

The Tokins replaced a Sigme 28-200 that quit working.....
Southswede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 3:15 PM   #4
Super Moderator

both great lenses.. if you can get w/in 50 ft of your animals, i think the 200 should suffice... plus it will make just a great all walkaround lens that you can just put it on and forget it when you go to campus.. and will allow you to do your wildlife pics plus some architecture if you don't need to go too wide, and should be good for candid portraits etc.. very flexible..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote