Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 24, 2005, 3:44 PM   #1

First Thanks every one in helping me out in getting Canon 70-200/4 L lens. ( I had a previous post to decide upon this lens)

Now I got My lens delivered today from DELL.I paid 560$ for the lens + 512 mb ultra II cards.

I need little more help in checking the quality of the copy I have got.

Please let me know Generally what are the things we should do to check if our copy of the lens is working pefectly fine

I need all yr help in this regards.

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

Post some shots. I also got the same lensabout 3-4 weeks ago.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

Just today i got the lens, yet to get good pictures out of it
sure i will post it then...

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 5:45 PM   #4

$567.00 - $25 rebate = $542 and free shipping.

This is where I got my body and kit lens. The page for the lens states:
..and it doesn't stated on that page.. :?

Price without the tripod ring, of course...
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:46 PM   #5

has a focus test chart meant to be used with a tripod (as all focus tests are) and he explains how to use it. Once your focus is verified (probably only need to do 70/130/200) at f4, go shoot a brick wall or something flat and check for focus and sharpness center and all four corners.

Once you've verified sharpness and focus, just go out and shoot, shoot, shoot. Remember to keep you shutter speed up. Until you've practiced, I would keep shutter speed at 1/400 or higher while handheld to help reduce blur caused by any shaking. Remember that DOF is increased as the f stop number is increased in number so it is easier to produce a sharp, in focus shot at f11 than at f4.
ttmatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 5:17 PM   #6

My recommendation...

1. Take the lens out of the box

2. Mount the lens on the camera

3. Take some pictures

4. Download the pictures

5. Look at the pictures

Lots of people take this whole business too seriously. It won't take you long to find out whether the lens is working correctly. My EF 70-200 F/4L is a great lens that I enjoy using to take pictures.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:34 AM   #7

I just bought one also, used off of eBay. Here is a sample gallery from my first time out. I posted these images actual size to display the quality of the lens. The still shots are unreal. The "bird flying" shots are not, obviously photographer inexperience... I also posted 2 pics of a road sign at 200mm, one f4 another f10, to get an impression of the sharpness of my lens. Chek out the red duck's face in paricular to see what this lens is capable of. Comments please:

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:19 AM   #8

ChrisDM's Red Duck is a very good image to show off this lens. It was shot at f/4 and the eye of the duck is very sharp but the back of the head and bill are quite fuzzy. The point is that a long focal length and wide aperture will require the photographer to use great care in placement of the small zone of sharp focus. Here the photographer did well and so did the lens. If using autofocus, it is really necessary to be careful where we place that focus spot. When testing the lens, you are also testing your ability to use the lens. Be sure not to blame poor sharpness on the glass unless you have done everything possible to rule out user error.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 10:18 AM   #9

After 40+ years of shooting - I find that the "Wildman" approach works much better than ANY forum. I'm going out to shoot now -

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote