Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:53 AM   #51

Carl, the image in question is not on sportshooter itself. I can't locate it anywhere any more :roll:

Yes the sportshooter site is a great place for that specific topic :!:

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:48 AM   #52

csnudelman wrote:
Some reasons, I think, to stay away from 3rd party lenses.

1-The optic quality is generally not as good (many reviews show this) and this iseven more sotrue when comparedagainst Canon's best ("L" series).

2-One can't just quickly over ride the AF to use manual focus as with Canon. There is a push or pull or switch or some action needed (try both and see if it is not a pain) including, in some cases, alignment of rings to both go out of AF and back in again.

3-Canon's USM is the fastest, quietest motor around. Again, try both for yourself.

4-3rd party lenses need to be "re-chipped" to keep up with advancing technology. And, this can only be done once per lens. Then it can't be made to work properly with a new camera advance.

5-If you have a problem and Canon's service says "it's the lens, see Sigma" or Sigma says "must be the camera" what's ya gonna do?

6-The focusing and zooming rings rotation is opposite that of Canon's. Confusing, I think.

7-The Canon boxes are nicer.
He don't mention the nice price for Canon to!

8 - The price is 3 times than Sigma

AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote