Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

Ok, here is my situation,

I currently have 300D (Rebel) and am enjoyng shooting surfing, football and other stuff but am feeling limited by the Canon 55-200 f4.5-5.6, both in terms of reach and quality.

Any suggestions on whatI could purchase. I dont have$5000 to spend on a single lens,but I am willing to invest in a good lense. I also hope to purchase a 20D (or whatever Canon is up to by then) in about 2 years.

Aussie Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:31 AM   #2

You may want to look at a 300mm lense - either Canon 300 4.0 IS USM which has the benefit of IS if you prefer IS. And yes, I realize for sports shooting IS has limited, if any, value since your ultimate goal is shutter speed. Or, the Sigma 100-300 4.0 - which is optically better and about $150-$200 less than the Canon. You could add a 1.4TC to get added reach - but then you're shooting at 5.6.

If you have the budget, the Sigma 120-300mm ($1900 USD) would give you 2.8 which would allow for more precise autofocusing of the 20d when you upgrade. But I'm also guessing that has to be a beast of a lense.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3

It you going to be shooting outdoor football in good light then do take a look at 100-400L IS. I use it primarily for bird shots but it also works nice as surfing & outdoor games like soccer, baseball etc. I prefer zoom in place of prime as it is easier to compose your shots.

Here are some of old surfing shots.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:25 PM   #4

Hey dave. I also had this same problem a few weeks ago. I took a lot of peoples advice and bought the Canon 70-200 f/4 for racing and football photos. The image quality was good but the reach wasnt enough. So I sent it back and got the Sigma 100-300 f/4. This is a great lense. It is fast and precise on my 20D AND THE PICTURE QUALITY IS OUTSTANDING. I also use a 1.4x teleconverter on it and there is minimal loss in speed and no loss in picture quality. I highly recomend this lense.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:08 PM   #5

A 100-400L is a great sports lens. I take it to day and night baseball and football games. I just up the ISO on my 10D or Digital Rebel until I get the shutter speeds I want.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote