Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:50 PM   #1

Hey peeps

I'm thinking about renting a lens over a weekend for portrait photography. Indoors, outdoors, group shots, single shots, head/shoulder stuff, all of that!

At first I was thinking about the 50mm 1.4 . Cheaper to rent, great reviews and high aperture. But seeing that I'm doing multiple types of photography, I'm worried about the constraints on a prime (especially indoor shots where movement can be very limited)

So, I was wondering what you guys thought about the 24-70 f2.8L lens as being a portrait lens. I only have the kit lens, so I've never experienced any types of shots with apertures greater than 3.5, so I'm wondering if f2.8 is sufficient for indoor/ night photography.:?:

And add-on question, will the 580ex flash have any problems with that extremely long lens?

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

since you are doing a mix of group and individual portraits, i would suggest the 24-70 2.8.. it is very sharp and covers a very useful focal range for portraits. the 2.8 is fast enough especially considering the control over the iso that is available with dslrs.. your 580ex will have no problems covering this lens..

good luck, dustin

p.s. be careful of your depth of field with wide open aperatures..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote