Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:35 PM   #21

*David* wrote:
Does the 70-200 F4 take the X1.4 TC ? I have a feeling that it does not. I am going with this one especially because it is affordable and currently with a £70 rebate. I will not be using it inside and will make up for the loss of a stop with a monopod.

You bet it does... and is a great candidate for a 1.4X TC. The most critical factor in how well any converter does is the quality of the basic lens. I've decided to go with one of the less expensive 1.4 TCs to use with my EF 70-200 F/4L. The Canon 1.4X is probably the best, but at nearly $300, I'm not sure it's THAT much better than the $80 Tamron.

Perhaps other folks here will set me straight.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:08 PM   #22

Well. Just put in my order for the DO. Should get it tomorrow and will try it out this weekend. Now to check the help-wanteds to find a second job to pay for it.

I can't believe that I just spent more on a single lens than the whole camera. Canon should give away a free body for every lens you buy over $1K.

I have a feeling that I will never be quite satisfied until I've been able to try both the DO and the L glass. Could I justify owning both? The DO for walking around, and the 70-200 for planned stuff? Maybe the f2.8 IS would be better in that case. All I would need is to take out a second mortgage.... Hmmm.

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:11 PM   #23

I hear you :-) I've often wondered too if there are others in this forum that live close to where I live. It would be cool to swap lenses for an afternoon and just try them out.

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote