Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1

Please let me know if a sigma 1.4x converter will work with canon 70-200 f/4 lens.

I have a option of canon 1.4x converter. but sigma is 120$ cheaper than canon....

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:14 PM   #2

The Sigma will work on the Canon, but the Canon won't work on the Sigma
... but you'll be mixing B/W though :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:40 AM   #3

Good to know. How about the Kenko Pro? Thats a white one :-)
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:04 PM   #4

I've found few good resources on TCs, and this is the main one so I will add a few more of my questions here as I am also looking at a 70-200 f4 with a 1.4 tc.

Here goes:

Will the Tamron SP AF PRO 1.4x work with this lens?

How about the KENKO Teleplus Pro 300 1.4x, and is there any reason to go with the "DG" version?

Finally, what's the deal with the KENKO AF 1.5XSHQ Teleplus? How is the quality on any of these that will work comparatively?

limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:03 AM   #5

The Canon and Sigma TC's only fit some lenses (Canon L and Sigma EX) because they have a protrudeing element that sits inside the lens. Canons sticks out slightly further so it won't fit most Sigma EX lenses. These TC are matched to the lenses and produce very good results.

The Tamron and Kenko TC are generic and will fit any lens, their results are not so good.
I experimented with using a Tamron 2x on a Canon non-L lens(100-300USM, and 70-300USM) and the results were terrible. (not to mention dark viewfinder and no AF at F11)

The generic Tamron and Kenko TC's seem to run about 120$cdn, the matched Canon and Sigma TC's are around 350$cdn. I suspect the price difference is due to there being more glass elements in the matched TC's and better glass used in their construction.

I've never used a Kenko TC, but was really not impressed with the performance of the Tamron SP.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote