Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:38 PM   #1

At last I narrowed my choise on one of these lenses as a primary "working horse" thanks to your ppl, help with links ( www.fredmiranda.com).

They are pretty comparable in specs. and price, and besides the personal preference to single brand , which one would you reccommend?

I got the impression that Quality control of Tamron is questionable , means that it's rather a lottery to get a good or extremly bad exemplar of the lens. If I were in USA it's not a problem to oreder and send back several times, unfortunatly for me... I can't bet. I have to get a good lens from the begining ( my cousine brings me one from online shopping from USA, cannot check, trouble to return...). Considering this whad should I choose?

Replies are very wellcomed.
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:47 PM   #2

Both are very good, with the Tamron being a morepopular lens. I like the Sigma's build better, but I'd give the optical nod to the Tamron (assuming good copies of both). See my site for tests beteen these and more:

[pbase is slow these days, not sure when it will be up and about again]
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

have you checked out sigma's 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO, this lens is better optically and better built IMOthansigma's 28-70 2.8 and will give you 4mm extra at the wide end, which is quite significant, and more useful than the extra 5mm at the tele end you get with the tamron.. the only downside is it is quite a bit larger and heavier..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote