Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:51 AM   #1

While on my honeymoon in Montreal, I stopped into Simon's Camera (http://www.simonscameras.com). They have a wonderful selection of new and used gear and the salespeople are very helpful and friendly.

I ended up picking up a few things, namely:

Optex 58mm Circ. Polarizing Filter for my Rebel XT kit lens - $38 new
Canon EF 80-200mm USM zoom lens - $140 used
Opex 52mm UV filter for 80-200 lens - $12 new
Lowepro 1S Lens Case - $12 new

(All prices in Canadian dollars. Currently 1CAD = 0.83USD)

I've tried to find info on the 80-200 lens, but it's scarce. There is lots of info on it's newer brother, the II that doesn't have the Ultrasonic motor, but I can't find many pages that deal with the model I bought.

In my opinion, it's a great lens, very fast, good focus times, and I've gotten some great, clear shots with it so far. The build quality, which is often looked down upon for models like this one, is still great in my opinion. It has some heft to it and feels solid.

Has anyone else had experience with this lens? I've learned that it was originally for 35mm models, but wasn't popular because of the 75-300mm that was available at the same time. It sort of died off, but has come back into contention with the advent of the digital SLRs. Canon rereleased the lens, but I'm told the newer model doesn't compare to the older one in terms of speed and build quality.

Either way, I'm happy with my $140 purchase!

Also: any Canon equipment purchased used at Simon's is inspected and refurbished by the Canon authorized repair centre in Montreal and carries a warranty. And, the store will ship to anyone, anywhere. It is actually cost effective for me to buy things from there and have them shipped to Nova Scotia, as photography equipment here is very overpriced. If you contact them, talk to Kevin - he's very knowledgable and uber-friendly. =)
okcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links