Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:18 PM   #11

Striderxl wrote:
Is it better to have a f2.8 lens or IS?I am looking into getting either the Sigma 24-70 2.8 (or the 28-70 2.8) or the 28-135 Canon IS.They are all around the same price so that doesnt matter.Looking for sharpness and I do shake a bit so I wasnt sure if the faster lens would help that.

Thanks for any help

As laready mentioned, it depends on what you shoot. For example, I shoot mostly wide landscapes where DOF is important, and I'm usually shooting in very early or late light. My 17-85IS allows me to get greater DOF, in lower light, without a tripod.

But on the telephoto end, I usually shoot action (surfing etc...), so I have a fast 2.8 long lens.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:48 PM   #12

F 2.8 for indoor shooting as it is brighter in the view finder for us old folks plus DOF options. 28-135 is nice for long focal length. I went with Tamron 28-75 2.8 for extra brightness, weight (old timer), and filters don't cost a car payment. Love it after hundreds of mostly indoor flash shots. Close up isn't too bad either. Color is great.
Tumak is offline   Reply With Quote