Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:34 PM   #1

I just picked up a Canon 10-22 EF-S lens and I only got it out of the box when I got home, so I can't comment on it, but it got me thinking.

I realize Canon has put something physically on these lenses to prevent them from being mounted on a non EF-S body, but assuming you modified the lens, what would the resulting image look like?

Like a vignette? Sides cut off? A small square in the middle of the frame?

I have seen this modification made to the lens on the net somewhere, but it was done with the inexpensive lens.

Anyway, I have no intention on doing this to the 10-22 (eek! I've wanted a lens with this focal length for about 20 years, so I'm not going to hacksaw it), but was wondering what the result would be.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

it would vignette horribly..

i have seen an 18-55 modified to EF for mount on a 10d, but the 10d has a 1.6x crop factor, so it worked out fine..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:16 AM   #3

From what I understand, a lens projects a circular image just slightly larger than the "film" it was designed for. I would imagine an EF-S lens would vignette all the way to black in the corners like H80 said. The only reason you get a rectangular image is because that is the shape of the film frame, the viewfinder nearly imitates that same shape.

eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote