Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1

first off, i love this camera. after shooting with it one night, i've grown to really respect canon and the slr style of photography. i have a lot to read/research, but it will definitely improve my photography skills just having this camera and all the features that come with it.

now, lenses *faint*. here's what i currently have.

Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II

Canon EFS 18-55 EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6f II (kit lens)

and i'm borrowing my friend's telefoto lens for a vacation shoot this weekend, which is a:

Canon EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III

it was not the best lighting last night when shooting w/ these cameras, so i know that's why the focusing was as problematic as it was, but i'm wondering if i truly need the image stabilzation when i purchase my own zoom lens.

i'm not going to go and buy a bunch of lenses right now because i'm learning the camera first, and i think with the kit lens and the 50mm i can get a good feel for DOF and furthering my knowledge of aperature and shutter speeds, but for a good walk around lens that has the at least 300mm focal length, what's a good, not too pricey lens that will be good for recreation. the main lenses that i will use for my somewhat on-the-side portrait job will be the 50mm and the kit lens for now, but i'm just looking for something with some zoom. i'm not a cheapskate, so i don't mean to come off as that. but i just want a lens that will not break me since it is not going to be one that i use on an all the time regular basis. some possible bird shots here and there, but something that will maintain a good, crisp focus, wether off or on the tripod on nature walks or hunting.

when i save the money up, i know i will be purchasing the 100mm macro lens that canon puts out, but that will be on down the line. can't wait for that, this lens seems to be incredible.

once again, for those like Hards and everyone else that has helped me in the past, i thank you. one day after my research has made me more knowledgeable i will pay back to this forum what it has given to me.

have a great weekend, and when i return from my vacation to little missouri falls / albert pike this weekend, i'll post my pictures for critique.

Jon Rowe
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links