Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1

[align=center]Ok, my story is short[/align]
[align=center]I got into slr photography finally got a D-SLR got myself the eos 350d with the kit lense

I take photos of:
Gigs (local bands in small clubs)
Low light situations etc

I want to take photos of:
Small insects - i want to zoom in on them really well and get good detail.
Animals - that i cant get close to, so i need somethin with good zoom.

Im after a lense that could hopefully do both of this?[/align]
[align=center]im kinda ona budget of around £250 which isnt much but all i can afford at the moment.

Any help would me much appreciated.[/align]
mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2

Tall order. The interior shots will take the fastest lens you can afford. The bug shots will require a Macro lens of some sort, and the wildlife shots will take some length. I guess I would skip the Macro stuff for now and look for a medium tele with resonable speed. The Canon 75-300IS is a resonable lens that is rather slow, but the IS will help with slower shutter speeds.
The Canon 70-200 f/4L has superior optics but again is kind of slow, and doesn't have the IS to help, but it's a great lens and almost fits in your budget. It can do macro but not like a macro lens can.
The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 will give you alot of what you need(no real macro, but it can take decent macro shots too), it's resonably fast, comes with or without IS, and has excellent optics. Another option is finding a used 80-200 f/2.8L which is an excellent lens and is going for nearly half of what the newer version is.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:55 PM   #3

What about the newest "DG" version of the Sigma 70-300? People all over this site seem to love this lens, and seeing your budget isn't up to going with something like a Canon 180 f3.5 Macro, the Sigma is something you should consider for macro shooting and keeping your distance. You don't NEED a zoom to do what you're wanting to do, but to buy a lens that works in a macro setting PLUS is fast enough to allow faster shutter speeds in a concert setting you certainly need more of a budget.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote