Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:50 AM   #11

It will fit the 20D but its difficult to say if it is good for weddings. By formals, if you mean group shots then no, it is too long with the crop factor. But fora shot of the couple from the back of the church...lovely, or as I say for candids. It all really depends on your style of shooting and what you want to do.

As an all rounder for weddings, if you needed just one lens for most shots, I would say the 24-70L. Although zooms are a fraction less quality than primes, the extended range means having to change lenses less often, good for stressful situations as I am sure you are aware.

My honest advice is that this lens is good for about 10-20% of the shots you are likely to take at a wedding. Wide angle is better. I use;

16-35mm -for inside the church, groups, reception (tables) and scenery

24-70mm -for smaller groups, getting ready at the house, the couple, "special shots", close up portraits, cake/register etc

70-200mm - for candids, reception candids, head and shoulder portraits

The 50mm stays on my second body and is used quite a bit too!

Hope this helps......buy a few lenses, at least 2. Let us know how you got on....

All the best,

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote