Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:21 PM   #1

I just bought the Canon 17-85 EFS. I didn't want to shell out for the hood yet, so I bought a UV filter primarily for protection of the lens. I bought a cheap Tiffen, and after getting it home (from B&H), I realized that they gave me a Haze 1 UV filter. According to the specifications, it seems that it cuts out 3/4 of the UV light, and other variations cut out more or less of the light. In a table describing the various filters it seems that this particular filter is designed for daylight.

So, what exactly will this filter do to my photos? (It is evening here now and I won't be testing it for a day or too) Will this filter adversely affect photos taken indoors, and/or with flash? Should I return it for a plain variety? I need the protection indoors as well as out.
GovtLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i don't particularly care to put cheap filters on my expensive glass... you will lose image quality both inside and out.. and it will make it more prone to flare..

my advice is to get the hood, and use that for protection..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:19 PM   #3

even if it says multicoated, i think i would only go for B + W

But then after spending that much on a filter, I would start worrying because i don't want to scratch the filter, and it might not make me feel better in the end because instead of a 1000$ equipment i'm carrying it's now 1100$ so now i should be more careful...

It's funny, but sad...
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote