Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:37 AM   #1

:? hello to all

need input ..........I have a digital rebel and will be sticking with this camera as I "focus" on my photography skills and knowledge...so in the mean time I want to buy some glass that I can use in the future

shooting my daughters volleyball games and friends kids wrestling canon 85mm f1.8

my son's freshman football and my daughters JV softball games and friend pee-wee football games a canon 100-400mm usm iIS f4

also thought about adding a 70-200mm usm f2.8 and a teleconverter 1.4

thanks for your input!!!!!!

stevesnyderohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:03 AM   #2

I have the 100-400L as well, and it is a reltively slow lens (f5.6 at 300-400mm) compared to the 70-200... Therefore, unless your kid's events are outdoors during daylight hours, I would just go for the 70-200 f2.8... You will need the extra aperture to capture action in dim lighting conditions.

Also, if you owned the 70-200 2.8, the 85 1.8 wouldn't really be necessary unless you are in VERY dim conditions where a flash isn't allowed.

Even though I own the 100-400L now, I have also owned the 70-200 2.8IS with 1.4x TC and this was a very nice combination. The only reason I traded was that my telephoto subjects are surfers, where I need all 400mm and lighting is bright. Otherwise you would have had to pry my 70-200 2.8/1.4TC combo from my cold dead hands... It is a great combo.

Also I highly recommend a monopod to support either of these lenses. Hope this helps.

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

You're in a tough situation here, but I'll give you my two cents:

I think the 85mm 1.8 is a great choice. I use a 70-200 2.8 and forpoorly lit gyms (which is most high schools) even that is going to be a bit slow.

Football / Softball:

Of the two, football will cause the most issues so whatever you decide on for tootball will likely serve your needs for softball (unless you can afford the 400mm 2.8 IS which may be too long for softball).

Here's where things get a little dicey. Right now your son's games are likely morning games which means decent light. But, since you have an eye for the future, your son may be playing varsity in 2 years which means night games which means a 2.8 lens is a must. The 100-400 is 5.6 at it's max - which is going to be too slow for Friday night or Saturday night games. So, you need a faster lens, but the additional problem is: where will you be shooting from?If you won't be able to get access to the field to shoot from there, you need to get right up to the fence to shoot from there. Even at that distance, 200mm will only give you about 30 yards of decent lateral coverage so you'll have to 'slide' with the line of scrimage. The pros use the 400mm 2.8 IS to shoot football (at least the couple I've spoken with) but most of us don't have $6500 to spend so we make sacrifices. I would suggest rather than going with the 100-400 you sacrifice some reach to add lens speed and go with one of the following combos:

Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX ($1900) plus Sigma 1.4x TC ($180) or

Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX (750) plus Sigma 1.4x TC (180) or

Canon 70-200 28L (1150 non-IS, 1650 with IS) plus Canon 1.4x TC (250)

Monopod in any case.

The 100-400 would work fine in good lighting but I think it will let you down if either of your children ends up with evening events - especially the football where 90% of varsity games are played at night.

If you go with one of the 70-200s you might want to see if they will be fast enough for your indoor work - if so, great! If not, then you can get the 85mm 1.8 or 1.4.

Good luck with your decision.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote