Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:51 AM   #1

I am an amateur motorsports photographer in search of an inexpensive telephoto lens. I usually shoot from the stands, so something in the 100-400 range is needed. Since I am in the stands, I will need something with an f stop better than my current Canon 75-300 F4-5.5 lens. A flash from the stands is ineffective. I do not care who makes it as long as shots look good. What do you folks recommend??
outlaw4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:32 AM   #2

What is inexpensive to you? You are looking for a lens that I would not call inexpensive. The range you're looking for is no problem, but the speed... having something faster thanf/4-5.6 will really jack the price up. How about the Sigma 100-300 f/4? It's around $900 and gives you a pretty fast telephoto zoom. You could use TC's on it, although that will slow down the lens and make the images a little softer. Tokina also has a version of this lens for around $600. It's probably your best bet, but if you can afford the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8...get that one instead.:lol:

For around a grand, Sigma also has their 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 with OS, the optical stabalizer might help with the speed and length, but probably not. Hards, NHL, what do you think?
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 4:05 AM   #3

If you want long reach and fast lens then I think you'll have to look at a prime rather than a zoom and then you're talking a substantial investment!
wrb is offline   Reply With Quote