Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:41 PM   #1

My first paying gig is going to bein a month of two... once the leaves start changing colors here in Ohio.

It is a family friend, family of 3 that they want some outdoor pictures with the leaves changing... probably by a local lake with the water in the background or a old red wooden bridge.

So I want a lens for this, that will also be used forwedding photography.

From another post, the two lenses I was thinking about for Weddings was a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and a Canon 85mm 1.8.

Since my wedding prohotography days are probably a ways off (and a better Camera off), I want just one of those lenses for now... unless one of the lenses that I currently have will work.

I have the Sigma 28-70mm and 70-300mm. If any of those two, I would be assuming the 28-70mm. If that will work, great. If not, what should I buy.

Will a warming filter be beneficial for the autumn shots?

These will be shot with a 350D.

Thanks in advance!

CPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:07 PM   #2

I have the 85mm 1.8 and it is a great portrait lens. One thing to keep in mind if you want everything to be in focus, the fall leaves, bridge etc. then you will want a smaller aperture, and lenses you have will probably fill the bill for now. If you want your subjects to really pop out then a wide open aperture is in order and the 85mm will do the trick. It sounds like for some of your shots you will want to bring the background into focus, but for the tight shots of just the family you will want to unclutter the background. For the price of the 85mm if you can get it now I would say go for it. It is a really nice lens and you will get lots of good use out of it. Another suggestion for you shoot would be to try and pick a day that is somewhat overcast if you are going out in the afternoon, other wise early morning is good and late afternoon sunwill give a warm feel to the photos.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote