Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:35 PM   #1

It's hard finding sample images to compare these two lenses, so optically, which one is better? I believe the macro feature on the Sigma starts at 200mm. Is this impractical? If I get the Sigma and for $50 more, I not only get a macro lens but a zoom lens too. They're both natively 1:2. Vivitar says the 1:1 diopter is included, but I did not see that listed in the website of B&H. Anyway, would like to know your opinions about these two lenses.
antiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 3:33 AM   #2

I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG and it takes great pictures. You are right the macro does start at 200mm and that is a little annoying. I love this lens, the only problem I have is that the AF tends to be a little slow and "hunt" especially in macro mode. I know nothing about the Vivitar so I can't help you on that, but I do love the Sigma.
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:48 PM   #3

I'm also an owner of the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens and I agree with what Geek had posted. The lens takes great pictures. It may not be as fast as canon's 75-300 USM III but it produces sharper and more saturated images.

here are some photos I took with this lens..

now using the macro mode

last one

mark040477 is offline   Reply With Quote