Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:42 AM   #1

I've just received the new canon 70-300 IS zoom for my EOS 20D...

After few pictures, it provides me what I was expecting: superb blur,fast AF, efficient stabilization, ...

However, when the stabilization is active, the lens vibrates and it is noisy. But, it does its job perfectly...

I also have a 17-85 IS lens and when the stabilization is active it does not vibrate and it is not noisy at all...!

Do anybody has the same observation as mine?

Can my 70-300 lens be a defective one?

Thanks in advance for any feedback...
Phil_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2

I don't have the 70-300, but I do have the 17-85, 28-135, 100-400, and 500mm IS lenses. The 100-400 is much louder than the 17-85 or 28-135, both of whichare so quiet you almost forget you have IS (except for the visual effect, of course). The bigger lenses are moving more glass and gyros, and I guess that is why they are noisy. People standing next to the 500mm F4LIS can hear it, especially when the IS "clinks" on and off. I think the sound of your 70-300 is probably normal.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:26 AM   #3

Yes, after having used the new 70-300 for 5 days now,it works perfectly and I'm sure you've got the answer... Bigger lenses are more noisy...

The difference with the 17-85 was so important that I have been surprised... and scared that my lens can be deficient...!

Thanks for your answer.
Phil_AF is offline   Reply With Quote