Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:30 AM   #1

I currently use a Fuji S602, and am thinking about upgrading to an EOS 350D with EF-S 18-55 lens kit. I would also like a 70-300mm lens and an 18-200mm lens such as the sigma 70-300 APO DG Macroand Sigma 18-200DC. However, I'm confused about the "focal length magnifier" (magnification factor) of the 350D and the relationship of the sigma general purpose lenses and the lenses designed for digital cameraswith small sensors. Will the lenses I've mentioned be 70-300 and 18-200, respectively, or should I consider them as equivalent to 112-480 and 29-320?

Would you recommend the Sigma lenses or is there something better in the same price bracket?

Finally, will I lose any features by using Sigma lenses rather than Canon lenses?

Many thanks for in advance for adivsing me on my decision. (The other alternative is a Fuji S9500!)

Doc_Croc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:53 AM   #2

Your S602 has the equivalence of 35-210mm in 35mm term
So with the kit lens and the tele zoom you're gaining both at the wide and the long as compare to your Fuji.
You should really consider the "focal length magnifier" - The 18-55mm and the 75-300mm are really equivalent to a 28.8-88mm and a 120-480mm after you multiply the 1.6x crop by the camera...

Feature wise they are similar on both lines:
Ultrasonic - Canon calls it USM, Sigma calls it HSM
Image Stabilization (IS) for Canon - Optical Stabilization (OS for Sigma)
Canon have the 'L' - Sigma has the 'EX' for their high-end

Tamron and Tokina also make few excellent lenses...
The 'digital' only lenses will work on the EF-S mount camera: Digital Rebel, XT, and 20D. The normal 'full-frame' lenses will work on all cameras including the new 5D; However the 'digital' lenses do have several advantages which are smaller, more contrasty (which usually entail a better MTF), and also less costly to build

Doc_Croc wrote:
(The other alternative is a Fuji S9500!)
Yous should check the Minolta 5D or 7D(after rebate) as well :idea:
... the cost are all in the lenses in the end!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3

Because of the smaller sensor of the 350D (and most DSLRs), you must multiply a lens's focal length by 1.6 to get the "effective focal length". This can be a good thing, as telephoto lenses have even greater range on a DSLR. This is a detriment to wide angle lenses, though, as they aren't quite as wide on DSLR.

As for the Sigma/Canon lens decision, they each have good and bad lenses, and price is usually an indicator of quality. The Sigma 70-300 you mentioned is an exception, however, as it generally produces better images than a similar Canon model costing twice as much. For your normal lens, I would consider the Sigma 18-50 2.8 over the Canon 18-55. The Canon lens isn't really sharp unless you decrease the aperture a bit (f8 or so), and this can be a real disadvantage if you are indoors without flash, for example. The Sigma 18-50 2.8 on the other hand, performs well wide open, is faster (f2.8..), and is just a better lens. You will pay for it, however. When I went from a point and shoot to the 350D and Canon 18-55 lens, I was really disappointed with the image quality at first. Then I invested in some lenses worthy of the camera, and I haven't been happier. Enjoy!

Chris M

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:31 PM   #4

I used to have the Fuji Finepix S602, which was a very good camera in its day.

I think you should take a serious look at Tamron lenses as well (my favorite).

Your lenses choices seem a little confusing to me.

You will probably eventually need lenses to cover the following:

1) wide angle (17mm to whatever)

2) carry-around (somewhere between your wide angle and telephoto with some overlap at either end)

3) telephoto (70mm to whatever)

Personally I would never recommend a lense that's slower than F2.8 at the wide end.

And just because it says Canon on it,if it's a slow lense, it's still a slow lense.

If your investing in a camera system for the long term, buy quality lenses.

I'm not suggesting all your lenses should be $1,000 lenses, but Tamron and Sigma (and Canon) make sub_$1,000 lenses that are F2.8 or faster.

The cheaper lenses will be a wasted investment if you ever decide to improve your photos with better lenses.

Better to buy one quality lens than three cheap ones.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:35 PM   #5

Thanks to all for thereplies. Plenty for me to ponder!

Doc_Croc is offline   Reply With Quote