Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:05 PM   #1

i am looking to get a canon 70-200mm 2.8L but i am wondering is the IS worth the extra $500-$600?

r00022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:09 AM   #2

Dependson your individual situation.

The longer the focal length the more beneficial IS will be to you. Excluding moving subjects, at 200mm you can push the shutter down to 1/30, three stops (sucking in light to your sensor).... Thats amazing and worth it to me anyway...

even two whole stops if your nervous will allow you far more keepers than without.

ps you can be aided with moving subjects when panning in mode 2 which eliminates lateral movement too.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:27 PM   #3

Also, the IS version gets a little on the heavy side.
Fubar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:40 PM   #4

IMO IS definitely needed if you ever considered 70-200/2.8 is more suitable than 70-200/4 in your work. Just like people using Nikon 80-200/2.8most of themultimately upgrade to 70-200/2.8VR too.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:09 PM   #5

IMHO, it really comes down to how you will use the lens and how often you will be using it at slow shutter speeds. For me, I use mine primarily for sports - so I'm typically shooting wide open with shutter speeds over 1/200. With the weight of my Sigma 70-200 2.8(which I believe is very close to the non-IS canon weight) handholding is not a problem although I sometimes use a monopod for longer shoots. So, given the weight / use factor for me, the I.S. wasn't going to buy me a whole lot.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"But in a case like LBoys, her needs are different and IS can be beneficial.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So, I think the deciding factor is the shutter speeds your style of shooting will require. If they're low, then the IS will help you. If the shutter speeds are high then you won't get as much benefit IMHO
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:33 PM   #6

I bought the non-IS version over the summer. I chose the non-IS version primarily because the lens is expensive, and IS adds almost another 50%.

Here's my take after using it for a few months:

1) its heavy. You will never forget how heavy this lens is. It is not a walk-about lens.

2) On the other hand, its wonderful for being around a group of people and taking really good candid photos. It lets you get nicely cropped pictures from a reasonable distance away.

3) The F2.8 is really great. It lets you handhold 200mm shots at dusk.

4) Its heavy

5) Its really heavy and long.

6) Color and sharpness are really great.

When you can use this lens, the pictures are really good. If you hunt down a post I made (probably the 2nd picture I took), you'll see the mediocre flower picture; i posted it primarily to show the lens is way better than the photographer.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:27 PM   #7

Sounds like you need the 200f2.8L prime.:idea:
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:17 AM   #8

I have had the 70-200 F2.8 IS for about 2 months. I like it, it is big and heavy which is not an issue to me. I can only compare it to a demo in a store of one of the consumer lenses that zoomed to 200 or 300mm. Zoomed to the end I saw how shaky my holding was and decided that IS would be worth it to me on a lense at that length. My reasoning is that if having IS allows me to geta shot I would not have otherwise, the extra has paid for itself at that point. I do not always shoot with the IS on, but when I when I need it, it is there. Try to get them both in your hand and evaluate them if you can. Best regards-
fitzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:13 PM   #9

I've pushed about 2000 shots through it this summer. Its been WELL worth the money - as said above it can buy you time and distance for a variety of shots. The IS is worth every penny. And yes it is a tad heavy after an hour or 2 chasing horses and people.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:32 PM   #10

It matters your shots, a good mono-pod can help make up for IS once you know how to use it too and costs less than $500, but if you have to me very portable IS would be nice. Dont forget IS doesnt help if the subject is moving fast then you little shake wont be as noticable.

Also as someone said its a heavy lens: so I think having the battery grip is a must I tried it on a Rebel XT and didnt like the feel of it because it was so front heavy.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote