Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:39 AM   #1

I bought this lens, besides shooting landscapes, what other application can I make
use of it on my 350D? Can I shoot portrait with it also?

The lens is sharp!

KyoceraM400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:34 AM   #2

You can shoot whatever you please to, nobody is going to say anything.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:43 PM   #3

Use it for any application where the focal length works. I would agree that landscapes are probably the perfect application, however, many people claim to use this as their walkaround lens. Personally, I have a hard time imagining that, but it just goes to show that many people rely heavily on this lens.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:03 PM   #4
Super Moderator

its a great walkaround general purpose lens.. it can be nice for group sized portraits or full length portraits.. i think once you start using it, you will find that it works nicely in many purposes..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:19 PM   #5

Personally, I use it for landscape as you said and for an indoors lens (with external flash). This is a great focal range for interior shots at parties, houses, clubs etc - assuming you can use an external flash. If you can't then it is too slow. It's also good for street photography - it forces you to get up close and personal. As a all-purpose walk-around I find it a bit too short. But that's just me - I like a little longer zoom.

The lens has very good sharpness so you can get some great 'pop' out of people as long as you're close to them. When you start focusing near infinity on this lens you really lose the 'pop' (same is true of any lens really).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:29 PM   #6

just curious would you guys consider upgrading the EFS 17-85 to this lens 17-40 /4 L ? (although I'm also leaning towards upgrading my EFS to the 24-70/2.8, one showed up at a store used recently and it's in mint condition, looks like it hasn't even been used at all)

please advise
rwong2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:01 PM   #7

I got my 17-40L back in October - Before I sold my 20-35 & used it almost all weekend on a trip to North Alabama. It does Really good, & although I bought a Polarizer for it, I see no need to use it - unless I am shooting maybe a waterfall or on the beach(which seldom happens) because on a bright sunny day, it kicks with butt wiht great color! However, there are most instances, where I still prefer my 28-135 IS as my walk around - it's got more reach.

Off subject, & since I cannot change the camera/lens listings below, I Finally sold my 645 today with 4 lenses & a Sunpak 544 flash - for $450.00. What a shame to basically give this camera away. zHowever, This money plus some more saved will go toward either a 20D or whatver replaces it.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:50 PM   #8

I have the 17-85 IS that I have used as a walk around lense. Most of my pictures are landscape and buildings, with a few portraits. Most of my pictues have been at focal lengths less than 70. The 17-85 IS has a very nice focal range, but not good detail. Since I have not been happy with the quality of the 17-85 IS, I bought a Canon 24-70 2.8 L. There were very few times I actually need the IS feature on the 17-85, even in low light. The 2.8 should compensate for the loss of the IS. For the loss of the wider end of the 17-85, I have a Canon 10-22. Yes, this means I might have to carry another lense, depending on what I might be shooting that day, but I prefer the gain in quality to inconvenience. I figure I have only one chance at most photos. I want to be happy with them.
rndrnd is offline   Reply With Quote