Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:30 PM   #1

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the canon 50mm f/1.8 to complement my kit lens and 70-300mm but I also got a tamron 17-35mm f2.8 just recently and I'm wondering if I should maybe return the 50mm prime. I don't really see MUCH difference between it and the kit lens, and the low light photos don't really even look better than just using the stock flash + kit lens. (of course it's better, but it means being extra steady etc and sometimes the pictures with flash just turn out sharper because i'm not steady enough)

Just wondering what people's opinons are on the kit lens vs the 50mm. I think I will be returning it unless someone can convince me otherwise!

Doug_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:41 PM   #2

just my thoughts, for no more than the 50mm cost it is worth keeping it in your bag, I don't use mine very much either, but for those times I need a fast low light lens when I can't use a flash, like museums, gymnastic events and such as that the 50mm f/1.8 will really come in handy.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:11 PM   #3

I agree with Caboose.

The Canon 50mm F1.8 is short money for a nice low light lens.

Keep it bro!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:45 PM   #4

Keep it. It is a great a low light lens...and sooo CHEAP it is worth keeping!
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:05 PM   #5

I have only needed my 50mm 1.8 once, at a party I was photographing. Flash was not a good option. Got lot's of great picsbecause ofthe lens. I liked it so much that I purchased a 50mm 1.4mm USM. The extra low light capability was a life saver. As the saying goes, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

My vote, keep it.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:21 AM   #6

Keep it, at least until you can get the 50f1.4: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/50v50
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote