Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2005, 1:49 AM   #1

I'm looking to get a decent telephoto lens, and I'm interested in Canon's 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM. I've used a 75-300 IS, and found it to be unacceptably soft in the long range. Frankly, I've heard almost nothing but bad things about the 75-300 lenses. I am aware of the new 70-300 IS, but it's significantly more expensive (and trying to decide between it and the 70-200 L opens up a whole new can of worms!) I am interested in the 100-300 because I've read it's optically better than the 75-300s, and because it seems to have better overall build quality (rear focus, etc).

Does anyone have any opinions about this lens?

Also, I took a look at Sigma's offerings. What are the differences between their 70-300s? I'm guessing the best is the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro, based on the price (and the length of the name! ) How does it compare to the Canon 100-300 (other than the extra 30mm range on the short end)?

EDIT: I ended up buying the 70-200 f/4 L.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:40 AM   #2

Hi, I had teh same dilema as you.....and in the end I choose teh canon 100-300mm usm. the focusing in fantastic. Ive barely missed a shot. the image quality is acceptable for me and teh only problem is teh lens creep (lens slides out to 300mm when turned to ground)

As long as you bump up iso to around 800 and stop lens down to f8, teh results are great.

I figured that dispite the sigma's good quality you wouold not be able to experience it without a perfectly in focus subject (if that makes sense)

sorry bout typos in there i suk at teh typing
jacko312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3

See this recent post at my site: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/70300s
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote