Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:41 AM   #1

I think I have some dirt on my lens! I have been told by friends that the best way to clean this is to use a bellows (a little bulb thingy that you squeeze to make a sudden "blow"). Is this the best thing to use? Does anybody have any experience of problems?

Also, if I find that the problem is not on my lens and actually on my sensor, what then?

Thanks in advance,

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:36 PM   #2

The bulb blower is the best place to start, then on your lenses you can use a micro cloth and lens cleaning solution. Promaster makes an inexpensive cloth and solution that I use. If the problem is on the sensor, the bulb blower is still the place to start. Make sure you have a fully charged battery, and select sensor clean on your cameras menu. This will keep the shutter open, hold your camera with the sensor facing down so the dust won't float back down on your sensor again. And give your bulb blower a few burst. When done just turn the camera off and your done. To check for dust, put on a wide angle lens and stop it down to say f/8 and take a photo of a white piece of paper or a light bank, you can use a white wall too, if it is very clean. Then dump that picture into photoshop or what ever editting program you have and click on auto levels, if there is any dust it will show up.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote