Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:55 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy some 77mm filters for my canon lens' and was curious as to what people recommend. I talked to my neighbor who is a professional photographer and he seemed to think that a $30-35 UV filter should be fine but I would like to get some of your opinions. I'm looking for an all around filter that I can leave on my 24-70 and 70-200 lens' that will protect them from the elements.

MMcCawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:48 PM   #2

I never use filters.

I just take care of my lenses and clean them about once every couple of months.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:24 PM   #3

Matt - I use Hoya HMC filters on my L lenses. The HMC stands for multi-coated, which reduces flare and glare. These filters are just about in your price range, and I would not recommend anything less, as a lens, like a chain, is only as strong as it's weakest link. And filters have saved my a$$ a couple times, as I shoot weddings and have to do VERY fast lens changes. Sometimes I get in such a hurry that I will throw a lens in my bag without putting the cap on. But worst case scenario here is that I have to replace a $35 filter not a $1200 lens. I also shoot at the beach a lot, which can be tough on glass, so I like knowing I have filters on here as well.

Chris M
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:13 PM   #4

I've owned Hoya HMC Super for all my lenses 'til my last acquired lens...a Sigma 150mm EX. I tried out the S+W filter reviewed below...and no complaints whatsoever.

Here you go: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/uvtest You decide for yourself.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote