Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:55 AM   #21

short and sweet...

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM
Canon 50mm f1.8

I did not have money to purchase everything new, so bought all from ebay for about $900.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:02 AM   #22

Reread entire post and now realizing how much I'm learning. I think with my needs, the extra money will be well spent on the speed of 20d. Legs are coiling as I'm about to make the leap. After all from Terry's comment below...

"...catpured the moment, the light andcomposition sonicely that after you can sit back and look at the shot on your monitor with a beer in your hand and say "Yup, I did a pretty good job on that one!".

Isn't that what it's all about. Missed that comment the first time Terry. Appreciate it and all help. Great site! Great folks! Great help!

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:59 PM   #23

this is a very interesting thread.

My indoor shooting is college and HS gyms and I agree with both Terry and John G, both of whom have advice and opinions I value.

I have to admit Ibelong to the bag full of primes club, but I did just purchase a Sigma 28-70 f2.8. Have not had an opportunity to use it yet.

I have a Canon 100mm f2, a Canon 85mm f1.8 and cheapie Canon 50mm f1.8 that I love. What I use to shoot with in a gym depends primarily where I am positioned. I have gotten very good results with all 3 lenses. I use a Rebel XT, btw.

It is a double edged sword, shooting in gyms. Often I need to shoot at f 1.8 / f2.0 to get acceptable lighting/shutter speedsbut often, in doing so, my keeper rate falls off due to focus issues. If at all possible, I try to shoot at f2.8 0 f3.2, but you have to do what you have to do. YOu really have to work to get good action shots in low light. The compromises that this demanding situation forces you to make sure will force you to be on top of your game. So far, I am in the middle of mine!

Best of luck!
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote