Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:00 PM   #21

Even with a 2.8 you will be shooting at 1/320 at ISO 1600 to get good pictures. The 2.8 zoom has to focus pretty quick so that leaves out the Sigma and really the only lens worth considering would be the Canon 70-200 2.8L but that is really expensive and to get stop action with all those legs and jumping under the basket or a spike in volleyball, you are going to have to be shooting at the speed above or faster and you will never leave 2.8. Of course it is all lighting dependent and unless you brought some with you, 2.8 is all you got.

I suggest you look on ebay for the Canon 85mm 1.8 or Canon 135mm f/2. Both are really good lenses with the 135mm being the better of the two. You will still be shooting at ISO 800. You can get the 85mm for less than $300 and the 135mm for less than $700 off ebay. There really isn]t a downside, since you can resell it for the same price you paid for it.

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Yah, your problem is the Quantary lens. It doesn't let enough light into the camera so your images are dark.

You need a lens that will let more light in.

Try the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 XR DI (around $330) or the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (around $850)

These are online prices.

You could also try a Canon 50mm F1.8 lens (around $80).

Forget the Quantaray for indoor. The kit lens should have been a little better.

-- Terry
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:11 AM   #22

JohnG wrote:

I can recommend the Bogen 679b as a great monopod. It's fairly light but has no problem supporting my 20d with grip and Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens. One word of warning: when I research monopods a couple years ago, I found a number of people recommending some of the more load bearing Bogens. Well, I went to a camera store that had them and I'm glad I did. Some of these things are monsterous clubs - I mean you could kill an elephant with one. Too large and cumbersome IMO for the types of lenses I was going to use.

The 679 was the right diameter to also work as a hiking stick (If I so chose). I've been happy with it for 2 years.
It comes with three heads. I don't know how to pick to use with 30D?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:50 PM   #23

To be honest, I don't use a head on my monopod so I can't help you with that one. If I think I'll need to do any lengthy work I'll use my tripod. I know several people use the grip action ballhead because you can lock-unlock with the hand holding the monopod and adjust the camera/lens with your other hand and that seems to make sense.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote