Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:43 PM   #1

I have my mind set on a Canon 20d but would like to know which lens is the best for it . I am looking to take good action shots (hopefully ) of drag racing, bull riding, some portraits of my 5 year old ( inside my house ) Landscape too. I would like any info. that you care to pass along. I have a price with the kits lens(18-55mm) for $1150 shipped. 20d with 18-55mm USM lens for $1270. I was thinking possibly buy the body and one decent lens for a good price. I would consider a used lens if the price is right. What do you think about the Canon 28-135 F3.5 - 5.6 IS ? Is that an ok all around use lens ? Also what type lens do I need to get the backgrounds blurried ? Newbie here.

sc_radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:59 PM   #2

The 20D is an excellent body. As for lenses, if I were to start off with a good standard zoom, I'd get either the Sigma 1850 f2.8 or Sigma 2470 f2.8. You can do a lot with either lens. Both are high quality optics; you don't have to have L to make great shots. See my site for some test shots. Best wishes.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:23 PM   #3

I tend to agree with fstopjojo

I have the EF 28-135 F3.5 - 5.6 IS USM - Very sharp lens, but shallow DOF is not its forte'...
-> You need a faster lens with f/2.8 or larger aperture for that! :idea:
Also as a plastic/composite lens the EF 28-135 tends to get quite loose over time and it droops as you point it up or down!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:24 PM   #4

Sounds like you have some pretty high requirements.
Drag racing is usually at night, right? And bull riding is about as fast as it gets ... and you can't get too close to either.
You probably need a fast lens in the mid telephoto of range. A 70-200f2.8 would be useful but a faster prime would probably be better.
To get good action shots (and low-light shots) you need a lens that lets a lot of light in so you can take have a fast shutter speed that 'stops' the action. This requires a wide aperture (low f-stop number). A large aperture also gives a shallow depth of field which is what lets you blur the background. The bad news is that a wide aperture needs even wider lens elements which means that these fast lenses are relatively large and expensive. You could get a cheap lens to start with and then upgrade when you know a bit more about what you really need.
The kit lens is fine for landscapes and the USM version is not really a worthwhile upgrade - you're better off spending the extra $$ on the Sigma 18-50f2.8 or something even better.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote