Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:43 PM   #11

leeoz, check out Canon's Focal Length Flash Movie. It's really good and gives you an idea of what certain focal lengths will give you.

For me, I just ordered the EFS 17-85mm. The only real bad thing I have researched about the lens is that it's weak on the wide end, but still within acceptable limits.

Here is a test site that demonstrates the benefits of IS. Scroll down until you see the woman. I use to be anti-IS, but after having tried it a few times I must confess I've been converted. It has quite a lot of useful applications, but it is virtually useless in broad daylight. It's most handy during dawn or dusk.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:24 PM   #12

wow, thx the comparisons r very useful. now i noe the 17 would do more for me^^ thx
leooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:55 AM   #13

I decided on the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Other lenses will have to wait until next year.
DBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:39 AM   #14

What about the Canon 24-105mm f4L, a fantastic piece of kit although not the fastest, but for a walkabout would surely take some beating.

Like you I'll be investing in a zoom telephoto soon and I am not too sure, I would love the IS 70-200f2.8L but that's a fair bit of dosh difference compared to the non IS which I'm sure I could manage without. The hard bit is would I manage with the f4L considerably cheaper but a lot slower. I'm not too familiar with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 but have heard some good reviews on it, I suppose the answer to most questions is what do I want to achieve eg, action in low light etc.

Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:46 PM   #15

On the Macro question - a true Macro lens is capable of doing 1:1 or higher magnification (an object the same thing as your sensor would at least fill the sensor). They tend to be rather nice optics, with some decent manual focus control (at 1:1 your DOF is very very small, and AF is hard to get precise/predictable).

Most lenses with "macro features" only have a 1:2 macro capability (something 2x the sensor size would fill it). For an awful lot of uses this is plenty, but if you want to go futher you've either got to do some silly tricks like lens reversing or getting a true macro lens.
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote