Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:44 PM   #1

I was wondering what the difference between the L-series and the regular lenses was? I understand that more money probably means better lens (glass, construction, etc.) but is it worth it? Also, if someone has a picture for comparison that would be really helpful! Thank you,

nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:29 AM   #2

In general, yes, an L lens will have better optics, less distortions, less CA, less vignetting - in GENERAL. Also, SOME L lenses are weather sealed. Color, contrast can also be better than a cheap lens. You also have better metal construction (vs. plastic on some consumer grade lenses).

Now, on to your next points: "is it worth it" and "post examples":

You absolutely have to look at each lens on a case by case basis. The statements I made above are generalizations which tend to be true. But, not all L lenses are created equal. In some cases there are 3rd party lenses which produce comparable results at a fraction of the price. In other cases, there simply is no comparison. In many cases, however, there is a 3rd party lens that isn't exactly as good but for some/many people it's "close enough" - again at a fraction of the cost.

So, if you can specifiy what lens you're considering I'm sure you'll get people here who've used it and some people who can offer up 3rd party alternatives.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:33 AM   #3

I tend to agree with JohnG entirely, but would like to add that shopping from the Canon's catalog alone leave out some excellent lenses which are not in the L line up. Theses all-metal lenses for example are mostly in the Sigma EX professional series, and not available anywhere else:

o The 12-24 EX, the only ''true" super wide zoom on full-frame
o The 150mm f/2.8 EX macro
o The 120-300 f/2.8 EX
o The 300-800 EX super long zoom
...and some others too! :idea:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote