Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1

What filter should I use? Polarizer or UV
tailgunner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:55 PM   #2

It depends on what effect you're going for. If you're looking for something to simply protect your lens and not alter your image very much, go with the UV filter. If you're looking to bring out the saturation in the sky and other pictures, go with a polarizer.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:15 PM   #3

I don't really know what the purpose of the UV filter is, except to protect your lens from getting scratched. I'd go with polarizer as well.

I do have a question, has anyone here tried using a polarizer with a lens that has the front part rotate? Would you just rotate it after pressing the release button halfway? How does that affect metering?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:30 PM   #4

First off, you lose around 2 stops of light when using a polarizer, so I wouldn't recommend it as a general filter for everyday use.

UV clears up stuff that we don't really see, such as haze and UV rays that we can't see at all (but maybe a sensor could). So it's very ideal for protection.

Although I haven't been able to identify any sharpness issues when using a cheap filter, I did have flaring issues (or at least i think it's flaring) where I'd get green or red patches on the picture. You could photoshop it out, but it's a real pain.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote