Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:23 AM   #1

I don't know much about camera's but have decided it might be a fun new hobby to try. Been researching and for my needs I think the Canon Rebel XT would be a great choice.

One thing that keeps coming up when I read the reviews of this camera is the standard lens that comes in the "kit" camera leaves a lot to be desired. I think I might be better off buying a Rebel XT body and buying a separate lens, but I'm in over my head on this because there are sooo many to pick from. size, style, quality,etc.

Here is what I want from the lens. casual portraits of the wife and kids. Both kids play soccer so I'd like be able to get some action shots. Wildlife, I've never toted a camera in the woods looking for wildlife but I think it could be fun.

I guess what I'm looking for is a lens that'll do a wide variety of things well. I'm sure other "specialty" lens' will come in time, but I'd like a good quality lens that'll work for a lot of applications to start with.

Two that I have in mind are the Sigma 18-50 mm F2.8 EX DC Zoom Lens About $500 and the Canon - EF-S 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Zoom Lens about $600. Would these be good choices for a wide range of applications? I figure later down the road after I learn how to use the camera I could buy a bigger zoom and maybe a macro lens. But for now, would these be good "do it all" lens'? Both are a little pricey but I'm thinking it would be better to buy a decent one upfront instead of upgrading later. Right or wrong?

Eventually I'll buy a bigger lens like a 75-300, but for now the budget say's one lens.

What do think? Any suggestions? I really don't know much about this stuff and could use some help.

TerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:26 AM   #2

The kit lens for the Rebel XT is a great all-around starter lens. It obviously won't do telephoto shots but it is a decent basic lens to have in your bag.

That being said, the two lenses you've picked out are great as well. It is really up to you; personally I'd spend the extra money to get the kit lens (it isn't that much more) and get another lens, that way I'd have two lenses in my bag to choose from.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3

I will second what Justin has said about the kit lens. I used it for about a year and it has taken some pretty good pictures for me, some of which I printed out and hang on my walls. The only disadvantage of the lens is its range, but it depends on what you plan on doing.

Nevertheless, putting down money for a good lens is better than not, especially since this is why you're paying good money for a DSLR. My advice is only subjective, but I suggest you take a look at PBase Photo Gallery. Just select the company and lens you're interested in and see what kind of quality to expect.

For me, I bought the EF 17-85 last week and so far it's a killer lens. I've been doing a lot with it recently and the IS is a totally addictive feature. It also saves me from having to lug around my tripod, which is a huge plus since I always bike to my locations.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote