Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 27, 2006, 4:04 PM   #1

Chiapas, Mexico.

I wonder if anyone can help me? I am thinking of buying the canon eos rebel xt for use in wildlife photography (wild otters).Some photoes will be in low light conditions (shade, dawn , dusk).

Which telephoto lens, preferably zoom, would be best?A max tele of between 300mm-500mm would be great. Are there any decent teleconverters available?

I am willing to fork outabout 400 dollars but 300 dollars would be nice!

Good image quality is important.

Thanks for your help!

Julian Flavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:44 AM   #2

There are no low light telephotos of that range for anywhere near $400. Also, you are very unlikely to get good results with a teleconverter and a cheap lens.
The sigma 70-300f4-5.6 APO is pretty good and very cheap so you could start there. If you need longer or faster (or both) you are going to have to spend a lot more.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:10 PM   #3

I've got a Rebel (not XT) and the Sigma 70-300 APO and it's not real sharp at 300mm, but that's compared to much more expensive lenses. However, sharp is sharp.

I doubt seriously if you cam get a good, new lens, zoom or otherwise, in the 300-500mm range for $400. Believe me, I'm not trying to be snobbish, I can't afford what I want, hence the Sigma.

That being said, the Sigma (or Tokina or Tamron) would be a good starting point.

Good luck.

E.B.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:40 AM   #4

Is the APO version of this lens worth the extra money over the standard version?
pjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

Simple. Yes it is. The APO version is sharper tnat the non APO.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:20 AM   #6

Hi, perhaps I'll repeat what others said but ... if you need something goodin that budget range, forget it! (I'm in the same situation ...:sad: )

I've been heartly recommended the Sigma 80-400mm f/4-5.6 DG OS EX ... I'm also checking the new Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5,0-6,3 Di LD (IF) .. both are like a bomb thrown in my savings, but...

Follow this link ... there you may find some help from birders (they're usually very kind to newbies...):

Good luck,

gmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:22 AM   #7

Like everything else, with lenses you get what you pay for.

Here is a lens that is shorter than you asked about but with the crop factor it works out to 320mm. At $545.00 after rebate it is also a bit more expensive than your target but well worth the money and in the grand scheme of things, more affordable than other alternatives. This will be my next purchase

Here are some reviews:

davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote