Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:15 PM   #1

I am upgrading or expanding from a slr system to dslr. I have the elan 2e with the 24-105 (non IS) which is my everyday walkaround lens and the 70-200 2.8 (with 2x) which I use for portraits, outdoor sports, and trips to the zoo.

I am going to purchase the 30d shortly and want to expand the coverage of my kit.

I want to go wider for landscapes. Question 1:

Is there a resonable alternative to the EF-S 10-22?

I'd also like to add a macro capability, more for insects than flowers. Question 2:

What are the pros and cons of the EF-S60 versus the EF 100 (both 2.8)?

I'd like a faster normal lens for indoor shots of kids and pets. Question 3:

Is there a resonable alternative to the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (which with crop is about a 50mm)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Thanks in advance
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:21 PM   #2

Answer to question #1 is yes, however the Canon is far better than the Nikon 12-24 and much less expensive. That being said both the Canon and Nikon are not twice as good/sharp as the Sigma or Tokina lenses for twice the price.

As far as using prime lens on a digital camera, unless you are a pro or shoot only macro and super telephoto shots they really are not needed. DSLR cameras have very high/no noise ISO settings which should suffice.

See for yourself

If you have to have a prime, get a cheap one, like the Canon EF 50mm f1/8 model 1 not II for around $150 - the II is plastic and the I is metal. The II costs $70.

BTW, camera companies are spending the bulk of lens money developing zoom lenses, so don't look for any new stuff in primes except plastic unless you are willing to buy at the L level in Canon.

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote