Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:59 PM   #1

I have been following posts about this lens. How is this different from the other 24-70mm f/2.8 that Sigma offers. I want to shoot indoor basketball. Will the "macro" slow it down in AF? I have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 IIprime which works great but want the flexibility of the 24-70mm. Thanks.....

1 hour later...think I answered my own "first" question. Sigma website shows only 1 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. The other 24-70mm is a lens..

I have a Canon 30D on the way and want to add lenses but do it right this time.

As mentioned, I have the Canon 50mm f/1.4, and want to add the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM for starters.

Am I heading in the right direction or should I swap the 24-70mm for a Canon 85mm f/1.8 II?
pappydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:46 PM   #2

Indoor action. Forget f/2.8, unless you are thinking about a Canon 70-200 2.8L lens and even then, you will be shooting 1/320 on ISO1600 in order to get a decent picture. Forget stabilization, it is not a factor, movement is.

If you are shooting from the floor, you will probably need f/2 or faster primes, and even then you will have to hope that the lighting is adequate to shoot at 1600 ISO with a high enough shutter speed to freeze motion.

If the gym is small get a fast f/1.8 85mm. Yes the fixed focal length is limiting but unless you are a professional, you can get by.

You will still probably be shooting at ISO 800 for a decent picture.

If you are shooting from the "nosebleed" section, there might not be anything affordable out there that is fast enough or long enough

Oh, try and sit close to the floor.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote