Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:25 PM   #1

I am ready to purchase the Canon 30D, however, I am so confused on which lens to go with. I thought to start, I would get the EF-S 17-85mm IS, but have not read such great reviews i.e. soft at 17mm, slow lens (though I like the IS for low light situations). Here is my thought...can I get away with a EF 24-105 L IS USM for everyday walk-around use like shooting people (single & groups), indoor/outdoor, landscapes, wildlife, action shots, etc.Then perhaps a wide angle EF-S 10-22mm? Will I lose out between 17mm and 24mm? I know that these lenses are much more expensive, so any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations on othergood quality Canon lenses for everyday use?

I'd prefer to not have to keep changes lenses, like when on vacation or around town.
elle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:35 PM   #2

The 17-85 is not an expensive lens, especially when bought in kit form.

The 17-85 is a useful focal length.

The IS is nice to have.

Probably starting with a 17-85 is a good move, and then build on it with other focal lengths.

Personally I think there is a difference between 17mm and 24mm at the wide end.

17mm is very helpful when taking pictures of a person or groups of people in a tight situtation like a small room.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 2:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

There is a dramatic difference between 17mm and 24mm.

It all depends on the kind of photography you're interested in, but if you want a walkaround lens that you can use for landscapes then 24mm is not wide enough.

Go down to a store and put them both on your camera and look through the viewfinder. The decision will become very simple.

The 24-105 is designed to be a full frame walkaround lens, the 17-85 is designed to be a crop frame walkaround lens.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:06 AM   #4

Hi Terry And Peri...Thank you for your advice!!! E
elle07 is offline   Reply With Quote