Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 8, 2002, 1:04 PM   #1
Default Macro with EF 75-300 IS :-)

Saturday I bought a Soligor extension tube set of 12, 20, 36mm. It's nearly the same as the Kenko set ... metal mounts.

I was astonished about the results in combination with the EF 75-300 IS ...

... this one was taken with the complete extension of 68mm and the lens at 75mm, so the magnification is nearly 1:1. I took it handheld at 1/60 sec, f16, ISO200 and the Speedlite 420EX on a D30. Oh, and yes ... IS was switched on and the working distance was something about 100mm.

What do you think?

I also tested with the EF 28-135 IS ... magnifications up to 1.5:1 are possible with the complete tube set. But the optics are not that good ... CA can become a little problem depending on the scene.
Chris™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2002, 10:29 PM   #2

Its quite impressive. I have used the 500D macro lens on this lens but the DOF is very shallow. Looks like you get better DOF with the extension tube.
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 4:39 AM   #3

Hi S.,

yes the DOF is very nice, but it might be a matter of the aperture ... I read an german article about the CRITICAL APERTURE for macro ... there have been two formulas, one for extension tubes and one for close-up lenses.

I was astonished, that it is important to use the critical aperture, which means in short, that if you use a smaller one, the image sharpness will become worse.

I recommend a Google search for "critical aperture" and hope that you'll find an english explanation including the formulas to calculate it for your setup.
Chris™ is offline   Reply With Quote