Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:09 PM   #1

I like how the 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 covers a good focal lenght but its a little slower than i would like and the canon ef 28-200 F3.5-5.6 usm isnt as wide as i would like it be. so i guess either way i have to give up something. has anyone used either of these lenses or could suggest one?

badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 3:36 PM   #2

Well according to the MTF, the Sigma is superior at both end as opposed to the Canon which only goes to 28mm at the wide...

Also this is a Micro USM motor so other than the fancy 'USM' name I doubt if it's any faster in AF than the Sigma, or @ all - quieter probably but who knows? :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:24 PM   #3

I had them both for about 2 months, someone offered a good deal and I sold the Canon.The Canon was much quieter.The picture quality and focusing speed of the two lenses are aboutthe samein most situations. I think the Sigma is slightly sharper at 200 mm. The extra widthat the bottom end wasthe thing that made me buy the Sigma in the first place (I got caught in a situation where I couldn't back up). The Sigma also comes with a lens hood. It's a hard choice, both are close to the same price (if you shop smart) and comparable in quality and size.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote