Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 6, 2006, 10:41 PM   #1

Will someone here please explain the difference between "UV", "Skylight"and "Circular Polarizing" filters? Which one (if any) is best for everyday, outdoordaylight photography.

I currently have Canon UV-1 Haze filters on all my lenses simply because they were recomended as an inexpensive way to protectmy lens glass. 80% of my photographs will be outdoor / daylight shots (sports, nature, etc) andI want mypictures to look their best...so was thinking aboutupgrading to theHoyaUltra UV-PL-CIRfilters because it incorporates two filters in one...but is it worth the $100 price tag for each lens?

Oh, yeah...I probably dontneed to mention this since I'm posting in the DSLR /CanonLenses forum...but Ishoot witha 20D, so obviously I want one that works best with DIGITAL images.

{end edit}

Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 6:03 AM   #2

The UV and skylight filters mainly block out ultraviolet light that at varying amounts. These are also called haze filters.

A circular polarizer (CP)helps remove reflections from water, some metals, and help with color saturation. This is a very diverse filter, one that I use the most. One draw back to these is that most will be 2-3 stops, so your shutter speed will be slower at the same F-stop.

Here is a link that helps explain filters, it is very informative: http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm

For your UV-1 filters that you have on your current lenses, have you tested to see it the filter hurts or enhances your IQ of the lens? Some of the filters are not created equal, and my cause poor images.

For buying a CP, I would buy the best one that I can afford. Thes will be better constructed, have multi-layer coatings, better glass, and cause less image problems. For me, I would just buythe Pro1 Digital CP. The UV will not really help when built into this filter, as it already does some ofwhatthe UV does. For your current lenses, what filter thread sizes are your lenses?Ifthey are all the same size, then you only need one.

For filter manufactures, I would recommend B&W, Heliopan, and the multi coated Hoya (Ultra, Pro1, Pro1 Digital)filters. These are all made better than the lower priced ones, and usually cause less image problems.

For most lenses, I feel that a UV can cause problems. Most of the new digital lenses and cameras have filters built in to them to help fight this.

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

Speedie, thanks for the link...and the info.
Babyfixer is offline   Reply With Quote