Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 20, 2006, 10:42 PM   #1

Since in another post I decided I wanted the sigma 18-50 2.8 over the 24-70 2.8 and 17-70 2.8-4.5 I thought I'd open this up for discussion. Sigma or Tamron? I can find several reviews article reviews of the sigma but few of the tamron (if you find any let me know please).

Specs listed below:

Since I don't have tests to compare the lens with the only difference I can see between the two is that on the 350D the tamron has:

27.2mm verses 28.8 at the wide.
Also macro capablities are 1:4.5 (1:2.8 equiv for 35mm) on the tamron and 1:5 (1:3.2 equive for 35mm).

As you can see these two lens are obviously direct competion with each other. They both work out the the similiar street price of about $400. Any comments on which is best? The 18-50EX from what I hear seems to be supurb (supposing a good copy).

Thanks in advance.

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 12:26 AM   #2

The Tamron lens is very new...hence you won't find as many reviews as the Sigma. I have the Sigma and I love it! I did some comparison shots of my lens vs my brother-in-law's Canon 17-40mm f4L and Canon 17-35 f2.8L last week...at all focal lengths and at all f-stops (well...I guess I'm exaggerating...I only tested at f2.8, f4, f5.6, and f8 and at 17mm, 18mm, 24mm, and 35mm), my little Sigma gem beat both lenses in terms of sharpness and color rendition...and it's a lot cheaper, too! If you can get a lens like mine, it'd be a sure keeper! This thing stayed on my 20D...and now my 30D about 90% of the time.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote