Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 23, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1

Since both have basically the same price (Tamron $429 US (ritzcamera.com) vs. Sigma $411.90 US (bhphotovideo.com) ) I decided to get the Tamron instead.

The only flaw I can see with the tamron is it's field curverture at extreme borders being more produnced than normal. However, the softness generated from this is still less than that of the Sigma at F2.8 and wide open @ extreme borders.

According to http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_28/index.htm

Here is also a comparision of the 1750 to the 1740L and canon "kit" lens. The site also compares the 1850 (appears he got a good copy of the 1850 as well):

The tamron has better CA control, better sharpness in center, edge, and extreme edge (f2.8 should be very close to f4, which the Sigma doesn't appear to be the case, it's a little soft at f2.8). Vignetting is just a tad bit more on the tamron.

The above review is the only one I could find for the new tarmon. The sigma however I found several more than I posted here. Most reviews show the same thing 2.8 is still a bit soft. If my copy of the Tamron is anything like the above reviewer's then I'd be perfectly happy.

I will also let you guys know what I find out. I will be testing this lens as soon as I get it to make sure it is as sharp as it is suppose to be. The extra 1mm at the wind end translates to 27.2 mm verses the sigma's 28.8mm equivlent. So that is also an added bonus.

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links