Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:12 PM   #1

I'm a confused newbie! Please help! :?

I would really like to spend less than $2,000 US for a DSLR and a couple of lenses. This is getting to be very difficult!

I am definitely getting the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and I plan on doing mostly 3 types of photography to begin with.
1. Portrait
2. Night Photography (mostly static objects and sometimes indoors in low light)
3. Street Photography
  • I have read the bad reviews of the Canon 17-85, and I'm not impressed with it so I'm NOT getting that one. [/*]
  • I would love to get the new Canon 17-55 IS lens, but I am wondering just how important the IS is without the flash? I am thinking maybe this is ALL that I need to start with? It is pricey.[/*]
  • The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD would be the equivalent in my price range, but I have not seen too much on the net about this lens and its ability to shoot in low light well or for night photography. Is it on par with the quality of a Canon EF? [/*]
  • Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. Again, like the Tamron there isn't much out there on the net to help me decide. [/*]
  • Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD is also in contention. I did see a couple of good reviews for that one. [/*]
  • Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF 17-40mm f/4L USM is within reach price wise. [/*]
  • Cannot forget the Tamron SP AF 24-135MM F/3.5-5.6[/*]
  • And last, I'm considering the Canon 85mm 1.2L which I think is better than the 50mm 1.4 for what I would like with portrait photos. [/*]
My head is spinning...A friend suggests the Canon 17-40L and the 85mm 1.8 to start, and fill the gaps in later. Another suggested the Canon 17-55 IS, The Tamron 24-135, and the cheap 50mm 1.8. Any other suggestions or sure bets with other lenses? Does one really need IS? I was told as a beginner, it really helps and you can always turn it off. If you have links to tests or low light photos or night shots of your suggestions please link to them. To sum up I would like a decent fast "walk-around" lens that shoots in low light and also a good portrait lens that shoots well in low light that is of good quality and has good bokeh. Both preferably under $1000-$1200 together. I know, dream on right? In any case, I can't wait to get my hands on whatever I decide!

smigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:54 PM   #2

50mm f/1.4 & 17-40L f/4
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:49 AM   #3

Let me take you on another spin: Sony A-100!

It seems like you're all set on IS and low-light photography...
This camera has built-in IS so all your lenses (any lenses) will have image stabilization. Imagine an f/1.4 with IS (and anti-dust protection)
-> Beside most Minolta lenses are famous for their Bokeh!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:32 AM   #4

NHL: That looks very tempting especially the 10mp - but it doesn't come out until July Also, reviews and such will probably take a good long while to come out - so that would put my purchase in at the end of the year or maybe well into next year.

I'm not necessarily set on IS. I just wonder if it is really a must-have for a beginning photographer, and if it really makes that much of a difference? Thanks for the extra spin!

jjonsalt: Thanks for the lens suggestions. :-)

smigster is offline   Reply With Quote